Seattle Channel recently was named the best municipal television station in the nation when it received the prestigious Excellence in Government Programming award from the National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors (NATOA).
Additionally, our staff won eight programming awards for a variety of public affairs, arts and community coverage.
NATOA honors excellence in broadcast, cable, multimedia and electronic programming produced by local government agencies. In 2014, NATOA received 720 entries submitted in 64 categories by local governments across the country.
This is Seattle Channel’s fifth NATOA win in eight years for programming excellence. Seattle Channel competed against other government-access TV stations with budgets over $1 million. The station was recognized with the top government-programming award in 2007, 2008, 2010 and 2012.
“Residents can be proud of Seattle Channel’s commitment to in-depth, inclusive programming that reflects the diversity of our neighborhoods,” said Seattle City Councilmember Bruce Harrell, chair of the Public Safety, Civil Rights and Technology Committee.
Programs that won first-place awards include our weekly magazine show CityStream, the public-affairs program City Inside/Out with Brian Callanan and the showcase of Seattle’s creative scene Art Zone with Nancy Guppy.
“It’s truly an honor to receive this recognition from our peers in local government,” said John Giamberso, Seattle Channel general manager. “I applaud the staff for their commitment to high-quality, original and engaging content.”
Other recent Seattle Channel awards include four Northwest Regional Emmy Awards in 2014.
Here is a listing of Seattle Channel’s 2014 NATOA awards:
Excellence in Government Programming
- Interview/Talk Show: City Inside/Out – Human Trafficking
- Election Coverage: City Inside/Out – Council Race Bagshaw vs. Bellomio
- Arts and Entertainment: Art Zone with Nancy Guppy – Casey Curran
- Public Education: CityStream – Along the Duwamish
- Public Service Announcement: Seattle Channel Mobile App
- Arts and Entertainment: Art Zone with Nancy Guppy – Jade Solomon Curtis
- Public Health: CityStream – Food Action Plan
- Visual Arts: Art Zone with Nancy Guppy calendar